Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer School Reflections

ICON

1. (My grandfather died when I was 2 years old, and it is very hard for me to remember his image. I could only see him through pictures my grandmother would show me. I would see his life throughout my imagination with the stories my grandmother would tell me. Every time my mom left me with my granny to be babysat, she would sit down and tell me history about my grandfather. She would tell me that he is very well known in Tijuana, even now after his death. He dedicated himself to helping others. She said that he owned a very large piece of land in Tijuana that is now known as La Colonia Castillo. He gave the land to people that were trying to get back on their feet instead of selling it to become a wealthy man. He had a very important vision, he wanted to be remembered for many years to come, he didn't want to die and his memory to die off along with him, he wanted to be remembered for the good deeds he did through his life and leave his mark in history. I’ve always felt the same way, I also want to leave my mark in history, and so ever since I’ve know about my grandfather, I have wanted to live the legacy he set down for me)
This is Cesar's very first paragraph. What is good about this paragraph is that it explains some details about his grandpa. It is also good because in the beginning it has something very shocking that you would not expect.

(In Boondock Saints, Joe Yakavetta, a big mob boss is on trial for the death of countless numbers of people, possession and distribution of many drugs, and other criminal activities. There is not enough evidence for him to be convicted under the court of law, so he is going to walk. The Boondock Saints come in, mid trial, and publicly execute him. One life may not be worth another, but how about one life being worth 6 or 7 people? I think that person is deserving of death. I strongly support the Boondock Saints and any other vigilante doing some good out there, and I myself might possibly become one)

This the end of Eric's paper and this is a good piece of writing because in the end he uses the loop to head back to the beginning and which that makes it a good piece. The end of this paragraph made me really think. Why because well it says that he may be one in the future.

2. Explain what aspect of yours is the most outstanding. why does this aspect stand out to you?

What is more oustanding to me is that in my paper I tryed to talk more about my dad and how he could not be able to play with Los Caneros de Zacatepec. This aspect stands out to me because in the past I have never written something like this in the past.

3. If you had one more draft or one more day to work, what would you do? Why?

If I had one more draft than I would put some more details and how I can achieve this goal. This will help me because it will allow people to read how becoming a soccer player can be really hard.



4. State the importance of the Icons project in one sentence!

You will produce a highly polished piece of reflective writing in which you describe your place in a continuum of World Icons.

BOOK REVIEW

1. Read at least two other students' Icons projects. Then, cite and explain one specific example of extremely high quality work. Link to this, copy and paste the text, show the image... whatever is necessary to show this great work. Then, explain what makes it so great.


(Throughout the history of America we have had many war heroes dating back to the pilgrims time. But what if American “war heroes” weren’t really heroes at all? What if everything we have been told is a lie? Pat Tillman is an example of a leaked “war hero” that had an elaborate twisted story around an accidental death. Where Men Win Glory is the story of this one man Pat Tillman and the controversy surrounding the war he was killed in. It touches on why he chose the army over professional football, how he was killed, and pre 9-11 build up. It also touches on a lot of controversy surrounding how the government reports deaths from friendly fire)
This sounds like a good piece of work because it talks about back then. It talk about war heroes from back then not being war heroes and how this can all be just be a lie. What makes it so good is that in the paragraph has some questions. The questions are really good and that makes the paragraph a well essay.


2. Explain what aspect of yours is the most outstanding. why does this aspect stand out to you?

In my book review I put the paragraph separately and that made the book review more better. I also put the paragraph in their sections. I explained how the bok was really good and how.

3. If you had one more draft or one more day to work, what would you do? Why?

If I had another draft than I would let some teacher check my book review draft and then the techer would tell what else I can do and what is wrong with it.
4. State the importance of the book review in one sentence!
 
The importance of this book review is that we had to read a book and than write a book review about the book in a website called goodreads. 
 
In General...


1. What did you discover about your writing during summer school?
What I discovered throughout my writing is that I had tried to give a lot of details threw it, but then again I also tried to get focused on it.
2. What goals do you have for your writing in the future?
My new goals for the future is that I will now put more hard work on my piece of writing and I will put all the parts that are needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment